Argh! I’m really not having much luck with the comping this month and as we head even closer to the end my prize spreadsheet is looking decidedly empty! I’ve been really making sure I stay on top of the entering too so I’m feeling pretty de-motivated to say the least. I know this hobby has its highs and lows but when you’re putting in the effort and not getting anything back it’s hard to feel positive.
I’ve had moments like this before and I know at some point my luck will change and therefore I just need to persevere. So here are my top tips for those dreaded ‘dry-spells’!
- Look for low entry competitions; these can often be in the form of local promotions that are restricted to your area only or creative ones that require a bit of effort. Both will attract fewer entries thus increasing your chances of scooping a win.
- Try comps that are only open for a short period of time; companies will often run a comp just for a day or two usually on social media. And you can also see how many people have entered too by the likes, retweets or shares.
- Also be careful who you share a low-entry comp with as often this can then become the complete opposite! So my advice would be to enter at the last minute if the terms of entry require a share or retweet.
- Shop to win promotions can also be quite lucrative if you enter at the start; if promotional packs are delayed getting to their destinations and you manage to pick one up from somewhere you might only be one of the few entrants in the beginning. Also if the comp is a winning moment or hourly draw then it’s a good idea to enter when not many others are; for example in the early hours of the morning or late at night.
- Look through your win folders or spreadsheets of previous prizes; I’ve won some fantastic things and when I look back it really does spur me on to ‘not give up’!
I’d love to hear your tips for comping when the chips are down so please do get in touch. You can either email me at email@example.com or drop me a post on our Facebook page .